Wednesday, November 6, 2019




Just Tell Us


When I was a child and got to a “certain” age, my parents would give me a new rule or remind me of an old one. If it did not make sense or if it was something I didn’t like I would invariably ask why? Asking why is sort of a rite of passage for children to the point where it’s a cliché. There were six children in my family so I am sure my parents didn’t want to give us to in-depth of a reason or that is how they would occupy their time exclusively.  I don’t remember being a problem child but remember sometimes reaching a point where if things didn’t make sense I would get frustrated. That is when I would ask why.

I remember my father replying to my request for a reason by stating, “Because I said so.” I can remember the compounding frustration I felt when I wasn’t receiving a satisfactory answer. These days, I am not sure how parents answer this question from their children. I have never done this to mine because I remember how angry it would make me.

Midway through my career, I was having a discussion with direct manager, with whom I had a good relationship, about an account and I ask him why we were handling a situation in the manner that we were. I asked him in a respectful manner. I didn’t want him to think I was questioning his judgment or authority. I was very surprised when he jumped out of his chair, red-faced, and yelled, “Because I said so!” I didn’t know who to be embarrassed for more him or me.

In the corporate world, “because I said so,” is a phrase one will rarely hear. However, in the realm of internal communications, companies many times expect new innovations, policy changes, and rules, in general, to be accepted without explanation of the purpose. In the Harvard Business Review article, “Don’t Just Tell Employees Organizational Changes are Coming, Explain Why,” Morgan Galbraith states, “Executives and those responsible for leading change cannot assume that employees understand the reasoning behind them. You must spend time explaining the changes and why they are important (HBR 2018).” Many times the answer may be about saving revenue, it could be about staying ahead of technology changes and potential issues “down the line,” if we don’t take care of this innovation now. It’s ok, just tell us.

Many times the diffusion of innovation and the reasons for the change seem to come down from the top to mid-management then stops. The change is directed to staff members but the reasoning why is never mentioned. I’ve brought this up to mid-level and upper management when surveys prompted a response on job satisfaction. I have also talked to human resource professionals about this and received a tepid response. It was as if they had never heard this question before. As Galbraith says if executives and I will add front-line management don’t disseminate the information employees won’t understand the reasons and most likely won’t be on board with it.  Information on the innovation is as important as the change itself.

Supervisors and managers are responsible for this. Phil Robinowitz states, “If supervision is seen -- and practiced -- as supportive and helpful, a way to continually enhance the quality of one's work, then internal communication is more likely to flourish. Another role that supervision plays here is that it can help staff and volunteers to examine and improve their own communication, and thus improve communication within the organization.” (Community Toolbox Blog  2010).” In other words, it is the management’s responsibility to set the tone for the flow of communications. Staff members learn to be good communicators by the example that is set for them by management.

Even if changes will be painful for a while, it is important, to be honest about this and again, why these changes are being made must be part of the discussion.

Something I would add is don’t assume you know how the change will affect your team unless you understand the processes of how things are actually done. This reminds me of a recent meeting where a leadership group was explaining a major change in the way we would affect the sales process to our system. Upper management thought that one of the supposed benefits of the change was going to be that we would save time processing sales orders. They believed that there would be one less process when in fact it added a redundancy they never knew would be the case.  This occurred because those that were involved with the task of order entry were never asked how they would be affected by the change. In addition, they were never told why the change was being made.

In other words, don’t sugar-coat and make up reasons why we will love these changes, we won’t. Just tell us what it is and tell us why and we will accept it. Maybe grudgingly but we will keep moving forward with respect for those giving us the information.

In his Forbes article, “Eight Steps for Helping Your Employees Accept Change,” Brent Gleeson writes about the importance of transparency when change is coming. “Everyone wants to know the purpose behind the organizational change. In my last company, we decided that we needed a better project management solution and better data as to where people were spending their time. This would lead to improved financial decisions and efficiencies. So we rolled out new software and a time-tracking tool. Holy hell! Let’s just say that this threw everyone for a loop. It became very apparent that we needed to be doing a better job explaining the “why.” Once the team understood the reasoning behind this change and that the goal was to improve their work balance, the revolt slowly subsided (Forbes 2016).”

I wish readers of this blog could watch me dropping the microphone for Mr. Gleeson.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Strategic Communications – Professional Blog Finale Leadership and Media Strategies has been a great opportunity for me to not only lear...